Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mapping Pintxos in San Sebastian

San Sebastian being in Basque country, there are two names for everything.  San Sebastian, for example, also goes by Donostia, and what I would normally call tapas are correctly referred to as pintxos. In our one day in San Sebastian/Donostia, Jeff and I managed to squeeze in not one, but two pintxos crawls.
Blue Footed Booby
Blue footed Booby
(photo by Scott Ableman)

This was the perfect excuse to break out Jeff's newly revamped Android app, SpotPad. SpotPad allows you to take notes tagged to your location, so you can later remember where that really cool store was, or where you finally spotted that rare blue-footed booby.  

Objectively speaking, SpotPad is awesome.

At every bar we stopped by, we grabbed a couple pintxos while I wrote an insta-review as a new SpotPad note.  When we got home, I sent myself an email with all my notes attached as an KML file (this is a one-step process within SpotPad).  I uploaded that KML file to a new Google map, and ta-daaa, my very own Donostia pintxos crawl map (see below).

I think we've already established that I am not technologically adept, particularly when it comes to smartphones, but this was pretty easy (I added the pictures later, when editing it on my computer).  I feel like I have a new toy - I'm going to start embedding Google maps in all my posts.  Consider yourself warned.


View Pintxos in Donostia (San Sebastian) in a larger map


ps - As this is a trial run for me, you might have to click through to the whole map in order to see the photos and descriptions.

3 comments:

  1. Good idea! You could also link those bars to a pintxos site like www.todopintxos.com :)
    By the way, the correct basque name for San Sebastian is "Donostia". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the spelling correction! A little embarrassed, but I hope I've caught them all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shameless plug. :o) I like the Google Maps view you embedded. Though, I like the full Google Map you built more though because you can read your excellent descriptions better at the same time as looking at the locations.

    ReplyDelete