Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My favorite place in Paris

My favorite place in Paris is Sacre Couer. I do not claim originality, nor will I make excuses. It just is, and has been going back at least ten years. There's something about the carnival aspect at the bottom, the winding touristy streets of Montmarte, the ample supply of crepes, the bright carousel (which our four-year-old friend actually got to ride - lucky kid!). That's stage 1 of the Sacre Couer experience.

Stage 2 is the meandering walk up through the gardens, a process that feels vaguely like a mini-pilgrimage. Amelie nicely captured the whimsy and charm of Steps 1 and 2. Step 3 (really a half step, or a resting point) is posing for a picture at the top, with Paris spread out below. If only I had access to all my pictures, I could create a montage of photos taken against an always overcast sky with Paris an indiscernible grey behind me. But it always feels special at the time.

Step 4 is walking through the basilica itself. That's a very personal experience, but I will risk saying this much: it's one of the very few places in the world where I can always feel the peace of god. It is, to me, a special place. If you know what I mean, and know of other such places, please be kind enough to share them with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment