Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Polish Week: Introduction

Six months ago, Jeff and I took our last grand European vacation -- to Poland.

Why, our friends in the Netherlands asked (and you may be asking, too), would we take a week-long trip to Poland? Granted, it was not as obvious a choice as, say, the south of France or the Greek Isles. But don't underestimate Poland.

First, a disclaimer: both Jeff and I claim Polish heritage. Indeed, even though I am only a quarter Polish, it's the only real "heritage" I've got (I'm otherwise thoroughly American mongrel). It turns out that Poland is our common denominator.

But Poland is also an important part of America. From our revolution to the fall of their communism, our fates and freedoms have been intertwined. Also, when you walk down the street in Warsaw, every other person looks exactly like someone you know. It's frankly a bit creepy.

And then there's Poland's food, spunk, and gripping past. This is my week to share our varied Polish adventures, from the trivial to the profound. Starting with the day we accidentally climbed a mountain...

No comments:

Post a Comment